Saturday, March 22, 2008

ICONS

You know, I just don't get this gay icon thing.

I was having lunch with "a queen of a certain age", and he talked nonstop of his love for Barbra Streisand and Bette Midler. Now I admit, I love me some early Babs when she had the winged eyeliner and ratted beehive, but once she scrubbed her face and combed out her hair and went down Laura Nyro's Stoney End, I lost interest.

Bette Midler? Her 1971 self-titled album is amazing, but like the first season of Desperate Housewives, it was five years in the making, so it had damn well better had been good. Everything the divine Miss M has produced since has been medicore at best. Okay, a few songs from "The Rose" are pretty decent, too.

My vote for gay icon is Britney Spears - a real mess.

6 comments:

BERTHA FROM VEGAS said...

you keep bleeding, keep keep bleeding love, you cut me open and i....MM, I love that song!

THE ORAL REPORTER said...

Me, too!! MM loves that tune.

Anonymous said...

You like gay icons from your era.
Kathy Griffin, Annie Lenox. Maybe your friend was just a old fart.

Anonymous said...

The Mandrell Sisters?

Anonymous said...

Is Dolly a gay icon? I watched her on American Idol last night and I think the just sight of her wig and wardrobe changed my gender and sexual identity.

THE ORAL REPORTER said...

The Mandrell sisters - I remember Barbara, Louise - but what was the young blonde who played the drums?