Tuesday, February 21, 2006

BITTER CHOCOLATE

Among foodies, it’s been said that chocolate is the new cheese. And in NYC, tiny and tony chocolate shops are popping up everywhere.

And no milk chocolate allowed – very Jersey, my dear. I found this out the hard way.

One day last week, after an exhaustive search for pink blush in Soho, I popped into one of these new chocolaterias. After sampling the divine hot chocolate, which is almost like a melted chocolate bar, I scanned the candy counter for a piece to go. When I inquired about the milk chocolate, the prim and Prada-adorned owner stared me down - I could almost hear her thoughts “get out and go buy your Hershey’s down at the Korean deli.”

After an awkward silence, I was told – or I should say scolded – in a thick French accent that the store only carried dark chocolate. I stood there behind the many dark confections looking bewildered. No, shamed is a better word. Yes, only in NYC can one be shamed in a candy store for being unchic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

mr. makeup, you are to, to delicious for words, i could eat you up with a spoon, no a ladle!! Honey, who knew you could write, as Auntie Mame said" honey I didn't know she was literate'!! keep up the great skills, your making me all gooey inside.. by the way this is your dearie galpal Susan

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm....chocolate! ;) Hello, mister!

Anonymous said...

David, This is Dana's mom. I'm sitting here reading your blog and laughing hysterically. You are an excellent writer. I've just told Dana that you should continue writing every day if you can, and then turn it into a novel. This could be another Devil Wears Prada or any other book of this genre. You have a wonderful command of the english language which is unusal in the U.S.A.! Good job - very entertaining.